Friday, May 9

Nothing to report. Very nondescript day. Worked some, slept some, worked some more. Now I'm off for the night. I rented Lord of the Rings (still haven't seen it yet), Bourne Identity, and Drumline (sigh... you can take the nerd out of band but you can't take band out of the nerd).

I know, nothing terribly interesting, but I'd rather not let a day go unblogged, and it was either this or nothing. Part of my seemingly sudden quietness is that Night of Stars XI is tomorrow night, and we've got Chris (IR Chris Woolard) in the Phoenix arm of it. NoS is a nationwide simulcast featuring one race from each of 17 of the best tracks in the country, and it happens twice a year. Pretty neat deal. There's a little added money involved, but it's definitely not one of the big money stakes on the season. It IS, though, nationally televised, so... yeah. We'd have to pull off a major upset -- of course, we're in against Konow, but hey, Chris beat him once already (although Chris was nowhere near the lead in the other two races he was in with Konow in). It all depends on if Chris's timing is on; he's got to have his break timed down to thousandths of a second if he wants to get out close enough to Konow to catch him, because Konow is the best sprinter to set foot on this racetrack in... well, probably ever. No one's ever dominated like he has. I mean, if Konow runs a semi-average race (for him), he'll still beat most everyone else's absolute best effort.

He's feeling good, though. Chris is, I mean. I'm walking the fine line of I want him to be hyped up, but I don't want to psych him out, either. We went for a good walk this morning, him, me, and his brother Blanco, and afterwards I braced him down. Now it's all up to him. Of course, he doesn't know how big his race is tomorrow night... to him it's just another jog around the oval. I'm the one who's not going to get any sleep tonight.

No comments: